Did you know
• More than 30% of college students in Arkansas struggle with food insecurities?
• More than 20% of people in and around Columbia County live in poverty?
• More than 40% of SAU students come from households with annual incomes below $24,000?
• More than 30% of SAU students come from households with annual incomes below $15,000?
Rather than being shocked by these numbers, let's join together to provide a solution. You or an organization you belong to can help through any of the following opportunities:
1. Pick a month (or more) this calendar year to host a drive within your church or organization to collect non-perishable foods and/or personal hygiene products for needs on SAU's campus. Then call us for a pickup. It's as easy as that.
2. Talk with your friends, acquaintances, and co-workers about the needs that exist. This brings greater awareness and initiates discussion to help our community collectively solve these problems!
3. Make a financial contribution monthly or occasionally to support the food pantries on and around campus.
SAU has taken steps by providing the Mulerider Market, a food pantry free to students who need it, and is currently adding mini pantries in residence halls across campus. We're planning refrigeration on-site at every residence hall to provide space for leftover cafeteria food and eliminate on-campus food waste. Our food service provider donates several hundred meal cards yearly to students who don't have a meal plan. We continually look for solutions to help our students as we see needs arise.
We need your help to have the inventory to sustain these food security solutions. Together, we can make a difference in our community. Together, we can make sure our students are able to focus on their studies in preparation for a brighter future rather than on how to survive their college years.
Please consider helping us in any of the above ways. And call me if you have any questions, if you'd like additional information, or if you have ideas of your own you would like to share with us!