Former law enforcement officer guilty of sexual assault

A federal jury in Houston has found a 33-year-old former state trooper guilty for assaulting two women while on duty, announced U.S. Attorney Alamdar S. Hamdani.

The jury deliberated for three hours before returning a guilty verdict against Lee Ray Boykin Jr. following a four-day trial.

"My office is firmly committed to ensuring the civil rights of every person in the Southern District of Texas," said U.S. Attorney Hamdani. "We rely on our police officers and federal agents every day to serve and protect. This lone officer, however, used his authority to stalk and prey on his victims for his own sexual gratification. We are pleased the jury agreed that such conduct will not be tolerated in our community."

The jury determined Boykin had deprived two separate victims of their right to bodily integrity while acting in his capacity as a state trooper with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) in that he committed aggravated sexual abuse as to one victim and kidnapping as to the other victim. He was also found guilty of two counts of destruction, alteration or falsification of records in a federal investigation.

At trial, one of the victims explained how Boykin had taken her to a secluded parking lot after being ordered out of her friend's car following a traffic stop. Once there, Boykin falsely accused her of being a prostitute, threatened to take her to jail and forced her to perform oral sex on him. Afterwards, he told her to run while placing his hand on his gun.

The jury heard evidence that showed Boykin's DNA on the parking lot. The victim's DNA was also found on Boykin's underwear.

The second victim testified that Boykin ordered her out of her friend's car and placed her into Boykin's vehicle. Boykin falsely told her she had outstanding traffic warrants. He then took this victim to the same secluded parking lot, where she performed oral sex on him. Three days later, Boykin attempted to get her into his trooper car again, but she was able to escape.

The jury heard about statements Boykin had made to authorities. Regarding the sexual assault of the first victim, he said he thought he "got away with it" and knew he should not have done it. He said he "just wanted to try."

The jury did not believe defense claims and ultimately found him guilty.

U.S. District Judge George C. Hanks Jr. presided over trial and set sentencing for April 4. At that time, Boykin faces up to life in federal prison.

Boykin has been and will remain in custody pending sentencing.

The Houston Police Department and Texas Rangers conducted the investigation with the assistance of FBI and DPS. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Sebastian A. Edwards and Kate A. Suh are prosecuting the case.